Boschi Sant'Anna

GEOGRAPHY

Boschi Sant'Anna, with its surface of 56,7 km² is located at an altitude of 10m above sea level, on the south-eastern border of the province of Verona. The terrain is mainly constituted of a mix of sandy, muddy and pebbly soil. Peat became common in the ground because of the frequent floods of the rivers Adige and Fratta. Its fractions are Boschi San Marco and Oni. It borders the comuni of Bevilacqua, Legnago, Minerbe and Terrazzo.

ETYMOLOGY

The town's name originated in the time of its domination by the Repubblica di Venezia, when its land was covered in woods used as lumber supply by the Venetians. Boschi Sant'Anna and its small fraction Boschi San Marco are clear evidence of the influence of La Serenissima that was deeply devoted to Sant'Anna and San Marco Evangelista.

HISTORY

The town's origins are certainly Roman and upon its lands there took place a violent battle between the Roman Troops loyal to Costantine, and other Roman troops led by Ruricio Pompeiano. In the early 1400s the territory of Boschi was covered in thick woods and went from Legnago to Bevilacqua, including some lands now belonging to the comuni of Minerbe and Terrazzo and at the time it relied on the parish of San Pietro in Tillida, in Bevilacqua. After the collapse of the Longobard reign, Boschi fell in the hands of bishops and local nobles and its events were, for several years, inked to the fate of Legnago. The first owners of the fief were the Scaligeri, it passed then to the Dal Verme family in 1377 and became an imperial feud in 1387 under Venceslao di Boemia e Germania. Later on, it joined the domain of the Repubblica di Venezia, which exploited its lands as wood supply to build its fleet and the palaces on the lagoon and the inland. The Adige became a valuable asset for the transportation of goods on its whole extension. On 14 July 1507, Boschi Sant'Anna was proclaimed a community from La Serenissima with the title of parsonage. During the war between Venice and Ferrara, the woods became a hideout for deserters, who broke into houses to loot and kill. Shortly afterwards Venice granted the lead of the newborn community to Federico Cavalli, champion of the Rocca di Legnano, who built the first parish some decades later. The works of land reclamation started in 1690 and gradually turned the town's surroundings into fertile lands. In the 1700s Venice granted the government of Boschi and its territory to the important family of Donà dalle Rose, who left their mark in the town's history: Boschi became part of Napoleon's Kingdom of Italy in 1806 and remained aggregated to the Comune of Legnago until 1815. That year, autonomy was granted back to the town on its territory and it remained so until 1928 when for administrative reasons it was annexed to the comune of Bevilaqua, becoming Bevilaqua - Boschi. On 1 January 1948 the town finally reacquired its former territorial and administrative autonomy.

ART

The parish of Boschi Sant'Anna is worth visiting, with its "Crocifissione", a seventeenth-century painting by Costantino Pasqualotto. Also the parish of Boschi San Marco is particularly interesting, with its 1475 painting by Liberale da Verona depicting the "Madonna delle Grazie" and then the small church of Santa Giustina in Oni, built by the Scaligeri in 1387. Worth seeing are also the Oratory of Santa Maria alle Stopazzole, built in 1440, and the several Villas such as: eighteenth-century Villa Donà delle Rose, fifteenth-century Villa Rinaldi with its valuable frescos, Villa Garzoni in Fittane and Palazzo Rosso in Boschetto with its surrounding crops, in addition to some other villas from the eighteenth-century.

ECONOMY

Various small and medium construction companies are thriving thanks to the constantly increasing demand of restoration of old houses and palaces, but agriculture remains the main activity of the area with the production of corn, wheat, apples, pears, strawberries, vines and vegetables.