Salizzole is 25 km away from Verona and at the same time from Legnago. With its surface of 30,794 km², it is located at an average altitude of 22 m above sea level. Its main river is the Tregnone which, like several other streams of the area, is an affluent of the Tartaro. Its fractions are Bionde di Visegna, Engazzà and Valmorsel, which develop in the southern part of the territory and are about 4 km away from the main town. It borders the comuni of Bovolone, Concamarise, Isola Della Scala, Nogara and Sanguinetto.



The likeliest hypothesis on the origin of the name of Salizzole is that it derives from the willow tree (in Italian salice), which covered the area where the town now lies. It was a marshy area which was rich in vegetation. This interpretation seems to be the most accredited, since other areas of the Veronese Valley derive their names from the names of trees or plants which were present in their area


The history of Salizzole can be traced back to the Bronze Age thanks to some archaeological findings.   An official document issued by Emperor Corrado reports that the town was officially established in 1144 Thanks to the immensity of the valleys which extend as far as the eye can see, this territory becomes very romantic especially during the winter, thanks to the mysterious and beautiful mists that contribute to its charm.

Roman coins, pottery, and graves were found in this area. These were often mentioned in Medeival documents, like for example an act of sale dated 1180 according to which Salizzole became the property of Bonifacio of Amorvega. The 13th century castle was home to Donna Verde, of the family of the Counts of Salizzole, and mother to Cangrande della Scala. During the domination, rice farming was introduced transforming the landscape so much that the main trait and peculiarity of this territory became the rural area with low buildings and wide courtyards.


In Salizzole there are several places of particular interest: from the Castello Scaligero (12th-13th century), to the Casa Canonicale, placed beneath the characteristic "colombara" tower. It is then possible to admire the parish of San Martino, where there are paintings by important artists from Verona, and where an ancient baptismal font is situated. The most significant monument and symbol of the town remains the mighty castle, a medieval building of great importance. Two solid towers constitute the imposing structure of the fortress. The castellated western tower dates back to the 12th century, while the eastern one is 30 mt tall and is attributed to the intervention of Alberto della Scala. It is placed upon the entrance gate, which is adorned by a sleeve in cotto tile decorated with geometric patterns. The towers are connected by a central body built in 1798, as stated by the date carved above the door in the attic that leads to the granary, this is further embellished by a great hall with a barrel vaulted ceiling.

The castle also links the inhabitants of Salizzole to a character that marked their history: the Countess Verde de Saliceli, owner of some lands in Salizzole during the 13th century. Archive sources state that during the 1300s, the countess Verde de Saliceli married Alberto I della Scala, forefather of the Signoria Scaligera in 1277. Her dowry included some of her property, such as the castle. On the 24 March 1407, the purchase of the building was granted by the Serenissima to Nicola Cappella, who held the property until 1600, when his last heir Eleonora, married to Camillo Giuseppe Cosmi, left it to her son Cosmo Cosmi Cappella. When in 1793, Camillo, the last heir of the family died, the property was divided between his three sisters. In fact, in 1813, according to the Napoleonic Land Registry, the building was split in two: the western part, with the central body and the oldest tower which belonged to the Cosmi-Cappellas, and the eastern part, which with the other tower was part of the Demanio Regio. In 1980 the ownership went to the administration of the Comune di Salizzole that provided progressive restorative measures to the building. Important Corti Dominicali are Spolverini All'Olmo, Spolverini Alla Pozza, villa Guarienti, villa Sagramoso, villa Schiavoni and Villa Rolandi - Monga.


Agriculture and handicraft are the two bearing pillars of the local economy. The primary sector, oriented mainly towards horticulture, rice, tobacco farming, besides livestock holdings, successfully withstood the financial crisis and the reduction of state funds. Which seem not to have affected the several craftsmanship companies specialized in the production of artistic furniture, fortified by their strong familiar structure.