The town, with its surface of 24.85 km², is located at an average altitude of 47 m above sea level. It is 20 km southwest of Verona. It borders the province of Mantova and its completely flat lands constitute the typical landscape of the Po Valley. Mozzecane borders the comuni of Norgarole Rocca, Povegliano Veronese, Valeggio sul Mincio, Villafranca Veronese (Verona) and Roverbella (Mantova)


The name of the town supposedly refers to the name of Mucius Canis, a local landowner, who obtained several properties from the Comune of Verona. His heirs would later be referred to as "de Moçecanis" Another theory links the town's name to Enrico Mocecane, who was granted by the abbot Obizone the property of the land, today partially swampy, around Campo Marzio. The purchase agreement granted a tax exemption, which guaranteed a somewhat peaceful period for the inhabitants of the lands.


The area of Mozzecane, certainly inhabited since prehistory, is situated in the western Veronese Plain, whose several karst springs sustain the intense farming activity. Mosaics, coins, amphorae, lacrymatories, grave goods and epitaphs were discovered in 1883 around the train station and constitute a remarkable evidence of the presence of Roman Settlements in the area. Further validation comes from the transit through Mozzecane's lands of the Roman road Via Postumia. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the area was progressively inhabited by Longobardic and Frankish populations. After several quarrels between the Comuni of Verona and Mantova, in the fourteenth century, the lands passed under the domination of the Scaligeri. Mozzecane fell in 1405, along with Verona, under the Venetian influence, and only in 1443 arranged its own parsonage. Since then, the town of Mozzecane didn't suffer any particular disturbance, with the exception of the plague of 1630. In fact, thanks to sericulture, the town would prosper while nobles such as the marchesi di Canossa settled here.

During the sixteenth century the agricultural economy of the town experienced a radical change with the introduction of rice farming and sericulture, practised so intensively that today's landscape still shows the typical characteristics of the cultivation of rice and mulberry. After the troublesome Napoleonic era, the French were substituted by the Austrians, but in 1866 Mozzecane became part of the Italian territory. Since then, the town has been tied to Italy's history, firstly monarchist, then fascist and finally repubblican.


The baroque and neoclassical Church of San Pietro and Paolo is worth visiting, inside which it is possible to find the paintings accredited to the school of Mantenga such as the twelve lunettes above the main altar, consecrated to the Madonna, in addition to a painting by Paolo Brenzoni. The parish of San Loerenzo of the twelfth century, called Pieve di San Lorenzo di Grazzano, dates back to 1145 by the papal bull of Onorio III. Along with the chapels of Mozzecane, San Zeno in Mozzo and Tormine, there are the country churches of San Martino and Sant'Andrea.

Among the buildings on the territory it is worth mentioning Palazzo Canossa, a sixteenth-century building designed by Sanmicheli and built by the marchis di Canossa, Palazzo Vecelli Cavriani, great building with garnished rooms and a beautiful flight of steps adorned by statues and the emblem of the Vecelli, its first owners. Then there are Villa Brenzoni, a nineteenth-century house, Villa Miniscalchi and several country houses scattered across the land.


Craftmanship, trade and some important industries shaped the features of the town, which until around 40 years ago was primarily substained by agriculture. A new industrial compound grew around the railway.