Nogara

GEOGRAPHY

Nogara is 33 km south of Verona and 23 km from Mantova. The surrounding territory is mainly flat and the river Tartaro and Tione flow through it. With its surface of 38 km², it is located at an average altitude of 18 m above sea level. Its fractions are: Barabò, Brancon, Calcinaro, Campalano, Montalto, Motta e Caselle, t borders the comuni of Sanguinetto, Gazzo Veronese, Erbè, Sorgà, Isola della Scala and Salizzole.  

ETYMOLOGY

Nogara was formerly known as "Nux Nugaria" due to the several walnut trees across its territory. The name originates from the Latin word "nogaria" and the vernacular "nosara" both meaning "walnut tree".

HISTORY

Bronze age settlements have been discovered in Montalto and Palù, on the former riverbed of the Tartaro. Some stilt house villages related to the Terramare culture (1650-1100 b.C.) were brought to light, they relied on agriculture, animal farming, fishing and pottery. In the pre-Roman era the area was inhabited by a population of Veneti-Euganei with some Etruscan influence, based mainly in Este.  Under Roman domination the road Claudia Augusta, that connected the Po Valley with the Germanic lands, passed right thorugh Nogara, turning the town into a relevant economic and trading centre. The town's strategic position became the cause of several armed conflicts in the following centuries, and a castle was built by king Berengario to defend the town from the continual raids of the the Hungarians. In the Middle Ages Nogara, being the stronghold of the Canossa family, was besieged by the troops of Enrico IV. The inhabitants, with the help of the Benedictine monks, succesfully defended the castle. The recurrent wars against Mantova, Bologna and Modena, and the ransacking and raids suffered by the town before the domination of the Scaligeri, brought its inhabitants on the edge of desperation. The castle was razed by the Spanish and the Borgognoni in1509 during the war of Cambrai, never to be built again. Once the war was over, for centuries the land owners focussed their crops on rice farming and sericulture, even if in 1630, in conjunction with the dreadful invasion of  the Landsknecht, the population was halved by the plague, facing a time of hardships and economic difficulties. With the arrival of the French, the town enters Legnano's jurisdiction. Later, in 1815, when the Austrians divided the province of Verona in 13 districts, Nogara was included in Sanguinetto's territory. During the Three Italian Wars of Independence, Nogara, even if not directly involved in the military and political happenings, contributed to the fight providing men. In the early 1900s the establishment of some industrial plants partially transformed the looks of the town. Right after the Second World War the town suffered a crisis that led to the closure of some important factories and to the fragmentation of the country estates. This situation generated a considerable migratory stream, that only ended in the 1960s, with the recovery of industry and economy on a national level.

ART

Scattered all over the landscape are manors, villas, churches and remnants of the old ages that qualify Nogara as a town that is rich in history, tradition and art. In Calcinaro there are villa Valmarana and villa Perez, and in Campalano there are Palazzo Cavalli and the church dedicated to San Gregorio Magni, consecrated in 1533. The church of Caselle was built in 1860 in Neoclassical style and dedicated to San Pietro. In the town centre, besides the recently built parish, there is Villa Marogna, a noble abode built with the materials collected from the ruins of the ancient castle; Villa Betti built upon the remains of a Benedictine convent; Palazzo Maggi, built in the 1500s and now hosting the public library; the oratory of San Giuseppe turned into an auditorium; the recently restored theatre; the municipal building; the oratory of the Santissima Trinità in Brancon; Corte Serraglio, a country Villa of the 1700s; Torre Perlara, built before the 1500s in Montalto and finally the only remaining rice mill on river Tartaro, in via Mulino di Sopra. On the right bank of River Tartaro there is the remarkably valuable Necropoli dell'Olmo, a Neolitic burial ground where Bronze Age interments have been discovered, and in use until the Middle Ages. Of the same age are some house ruins, wooden structures and organic remains that constitute a remarkable and rare historical token of the human population of northern Italy more than 1400 years ago.  

 

ECONOMY

Nogara is one of the most productive towns of the province, it can boast thriving industrial enterprises, craftsmanship businesses and a flourishing agriculture helped by the efficient logistics.